Saturday, March 4, 2017

SOL4, Kusudama

SOL4, Kusudama
Displaying image5.JPG
Displaying image1.JPG
Kusudama are small origami balls that come in a variety of styles and designs. If you google "Kusudama" then you will probably find many examples in image searches. They are really cool and challenging, and I have found an odd hobby with them. It started with a basic sonobe, which is what the "display" at right is made of. I learned these first in origami club, being as I was not in the class and I had not been taught how to make sonobes with everyone else. From there, I found other designs, some of which were taught by the teacher, and some of them I found on my own. I now have an addiction to making the balls and making as many patterns as possible. I have failed at making quite a few of them, but I have found that to be a given with how complicated some of the designs are. I am confident enough in my skills with them that I have started to design my own kusudama balls, which is really hard to do successfully. Making them is almost therapeutic, as it is simply repetition through many pieces, but that fails as soon as it comes to assembly, as that is the hardest part of any given origami ball. Overall, they are an enjoyable hobby, and an interesting thing about me is that I make them.

        Displaying image3.JPGDisplaying image1.JPG

3 comments:

  1. Your Cabaret kusudama... how did you make so dang many? But your own design kusudama are awesome... great slice and slice idea! For some reason, I'm a fan of ellipsis today...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about what the 5 year olds in the cabaret audience did to your katanas... Whoops! I meant to say kusudama. Close enough, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds really interesting, and it is definitely a skill I wish I had. Nice description!

    ReplyDelete